Our next networking social will take place tonight at Topsider in Osage Beach. We're here to help you prepare for a successful evening of networking and fun by offering these quick reminders.
WHAT TO BRING TO A NETWORKING EVENT
In order to prepare for a successful networking event, you need to bring several things with you. Some of these things are tangible items that you will use during your conversations. Others are intangible concepts that are nevertheless crucial components of preparing for a successful evening of networking.
Here is a checklist of intangible things to bring to a networking event:
- A clear understanding of what you and your company have to offer
- You'll only have a few minutes to create a lasting impression. Practice your elevator speech ahead of time so that you know what to say.
- A smile
- People are naturally drawn to people who are approachable and engaging. Donning a smile for the entire event will give you a significant advantage.
- In order to last, the connections you make at networking events must be built on authenticity and trust. Prepare to be completely honest about what you and your company have to offer.
- Engaging questions
- Don't waste precious time gabbing about the weather. Come with a mental list of engaging, open-ended questions to encourage new contacts to open up about their businesses.
- Listening skills
- Effective communication requires a willingness to actively listen to what the other person is saying. Be prepared to listen more than you talk.
- A firm handshake
- Good or bad, your handshake will leave an impression. Be prepared to offer a firm handshake to form a positive impression.
- A pen
- You never know when you may need to jot down a couple notes. Bring a pen so that you can write down a few general notes and impressions on the back of someone's business card after meeting with her.
- Business cards
- This the most obvious - and perhaps most important - thing you can bring to a networking event. Bring lots of business cards and be prepared to pass them out to each new contact you meet.
- Breath mints
- That garlic cheese dip might be amazing, but your breath afterwards probably won't be! Bring a couple breath mints so that you avoid turning off potential contacts. Avoid gum - consistently chewing while you talk won't do you any favors.
- Your cell phone
- Exchanging business cards and jotting down notes on the backs of business cards is helpful, but sometimes exchanging contacts virtually may be even easier. Bring your phone, but avoid pulling it out unless you are going to specifically use it for networking purposes.
- Name tag
- Wearing a clear, easily legible name tag is a crucial component of making yourself accessible and approachable.
By packing these items ahead of time, you'll be able to set yourself up for an evening of networking success.
See You Tonight!
Join us tonight for our April networking social. Details are as follows:
- Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2017
- Time: 5:00 - 7:00 PM
- Place: Topsider Night Club
- 4877 Osage Beach Parkway
- Osage Beach, MO 65065
Tonight's event will focus on volunteer appreciation as well as networking opportunities. Free appetizers and a cash bar will be available.
We look forward to seeing you there!